Book Review: The Darkest Minds, by Alexandra Bracken

‘ It feels like we should do something,’ he said. ‘Like, send her off on a barge out to sea and set her on fire. Let her go out in a blaze of glory.’ Chubs raised an eyebrow. ‘It’s a minivan, not a Viking.’
― Alexandra Bracken, The Darkest Minds

darkest_mindsI just recently put down the book that has been taking up most of my life lately. Captivating. Funny. There are twists and turns up and down the storyline. The Darkest Minds, in my eyes, has the complete checklist for being the next The Hunger Games or Divergent.

According to the author, Alexandra Bracken, “This series has so much more to offer. It really is a near-future thriller with romance, sic-fi, and dystopian elements thrown in, and it’s meant to feel as though something like this could happen tomorrow.” All around the country, people are picking up this book and reading it, becoming a hostage to brilliance of the writer. This book is amazing and I, without a trace of doubt in my mind, give it five out of five stars. Trust me, this is a book that you do NOT want to miss out on.

Anyway, picture this; the US has fallen victim to a disease that only affects ten to seventeen year olds and has already taken 98% of the youth population (I.A.A.N.). You are a part of the remaining 2%. A scared and paranoid government (“They were never scared of the kids who might die or the empty spaces they would leave behind. They were afraid of us- the ones who lived.”) create camps strung across the nation for the remaining kids- you get taken there and you are left. It was the day of her tenth birthday when Ruby was forgotten. Her parents locked her in her garage and called the police. Something was terribly wrong. She might have survived I.A.A.N. but life didn’t go on normally. She came out of it with uncontrollable abilities. Ruby was taken to a camp for six years where they were sorted, red-the highly dangerous ones, orange- the dangerous ones, yellow, green and blue. Working hard and being beaten, she discovers now, at the age of sixteen, she’s a dangerous one. Once the truth is out, she has to trust a total stranger to get her out. And soon.

Now on the run, Ruby joins a small group of runaways just like her, desperately searching for a safe haven- East River. Liam, the leader, falls hard for Ruby and although she wants to give in, she knows that she can’t get near him. Not since what happened to her parents. Once they reach East River, nothing is as it seems, especially its mysterious leader. In the background though, there are forces at work. Groups of people who will do anything to get Ruby in their team to rebel against the government. Ruby will be faced with the fates of everyone she loves in her hands, a decision that can mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living. This book is so amazing and definitely my favorite. Its a must-read. A masterpiece this great has to be given a try. Its only the best choice.

“The Darkest Minds hide behind the most unlikely faces.” You will not regret the choice.

-Danielle T., 7th grade

1 thought on “Book Review: The Darkest Minds, by Alexandra Bracken

  1. it sounds interesting and i have to be honest, you caught my attention when you mentioned divergent and hunger games 😀

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.